Over the objection of VPIRG and the hundreds members who emailed and called their representatives, the Vermont House voted overwhelmingly to approve a bill that makes it legal for corporations, PACs and wealthy individuals to throw even more money into Vermont elections. You can read more about what happened here.
Just look at what S.82 would do now:
• Double the amount of money that corporations, PACs and wealthy individuals can give to statewide candidates from $2,000 to $4,000
• Quintuple the amount that PACs, corporations and the rich can give to political parties from $2,000 to $10,000
• Allow unlimited contributions from political parties to candidates
• Fail to substantially improve disclosure requirements (increasing the number of possible financial reports from just 7 to 9 over a two-year period)
• Fail to require fat cat funders of Super PACs to appear in their own ads
Fortunately, the fight isn’t over. The bill will still head to the Senate, where we need your help to convince Senators to vote now. Click here to urge your Senator to vote No.