The fight to retire Vermont Yankee is not over! For months we’ve been waiting for this. Mark your calendar now for a few key dates that will help us to close the books on VY once and for all!
Retire VY March & Rally
Saturday, November 17th ~ 12:30 – 2 pm
Get fired up and show your support for retiring VY by attending a statewide march and rally on Saturday, November 17th in Montpelier. The event is organized by VYDA and CAN/VCAN and co-sponsored by SAGE Alliance, Safe and Green Campaign, VPIRG, VNRC, Sierra Club of Vermont and more. You can get more information by calling: 802-476-3154 or go to: www.nukebusters.org. Here’s the brief schedule for Nov. 17:
• 12:30 pm: gather at Montpelier City Hall
• 1 pm: March to VT Statehouse
• 1:30 pm: Rally at VT Statehouse
For you activists interested in getting involved in the VY fight or a number of upcoming VPIRG campaigns, join VPIRG and Toxics Action Center for the Vermont Environmental Summit on Sunday, November 18th. The Summit will focus on Vermont’s energy future, VT Yankee, toxic exposure, genetically modified organisms, and eliminating waste. We will compliment expert driven issue workshops on these campaigns with a menu of skills trainings led by experts in the field. Learn more at http://bit.ly/VTEnviroSummit.
On November 7th in Vernon, the Vermont Public Service Board (PSB) launched a series of public hearings to consider whether Entergy Louisiana’s troubled nuclear plant should be granted a “certificate of public good” that’s required in order for it to operate for another 20 years. Being home base of VY, we knew Entergy Louisiana would turn out its employees in large numbers – and it did.
We can’t let Entergy have the last word. The next round of PSB public field hearings on Vermont Yankee will be held on Monday, November 19th at 7 pm via Vermont Interactive Television. With viewing locations all across the state, it’s easy to attend and your participation really matters. Together with our many partners who have been working to retire VY for years, we’re looking to fill the room(s). Here’s a list of Vermont Interactive Television venues where you can make your voice heard!
Vermont Interactive Television (ITV) sites:
• Bennington – Senior Citizen’s Service Center, 124 Pleasant Street
• Brattleboro – Brattleboro Union High School, 131 Fairground Road, Room 125
• Johnson – Johnson State College, Bentley Hall, Room 211
• Lyndonville – Lyndon State College, 1001 College Road
• Middlebury – Hannaford Career Center, 51 Charles Avenue, 2nd Floor
• Montpelier – Vermont Department of Labor, 5 Green Mountain Drive
• Newport – North Country Union High School, 209 Veterans Avenue
• Randolph Center – Vermont Technical College, VIT Studio, Morrill Hall
• Rutland – Stafford Technical Center, 8 Stratton Road, Room 108
• Springfield – Howard Dean Education Center, 307 South Street, 2nd Floor
• St. Albans – Bellows Free Academy, 4 Hospital Drive
• White River Junction – Community College of Vermont, CCV Upper Valley, 145 Billings Farm Road
• Williston – Blair Park, 451 Lawrence Place