Communications and Engagement Coordinator
Are you a skilled writer, compelling communicator, digital whiz, eager learner, and passionate about VPIRG’s public interest mission? Communications and Engagement Coordinator may be the role for you!
Vermont Public Interest Research Group (VPIRG) is the largest nonprofit consumer and environmental advocacy organization in Vermont, with over 50,000 members and supporters. Our mission is to promote and protect the health of Vermont’s people, environment and locally-based economy by informing and mobilizing citizens statewide. For over 45 years, VPIRG has championed the public interest in Vermont, focusing on countering the largely unchecked power of corporate and special interests on issues ranging from the environment, healthcare, climate, government reform and consumer protection.
As a member of our communications and engagement team, you’ll educate and build grassroots power in critical public interest campaigns that move Vermont forward. You’ll involve activists and the public through a combination of digital organizing tools and traditional offline organizing tactics, like phone banking, tabling and event organizing — whatever it takes to win.
You need to be a star writer and communicator, tech-savvy, eager to learn and passionate about our issues. Specific responsibilities include:
Digital Organizing & Communications: Assist the Communications & Technology Director in:
- Conducting digital outreach, like email alerts, online actions, website updates, and social media posts
- Tracking news stories, LTEs, etc., and promoting through our social media channels
- Generating positive posts and comments to relevant news stories
- Implementing paid digital media campaigns
- Drafting content for VPIRG website and member communications
- Video production with a particular focus on social media content
- Assisting with graphics development for both online and print materials (including work social media images, 1-pagers, research reports etc.)
Field Organizing: Collaborate with program teams to implement field organizing tactics like:
- Event planning, recruitment and execution: Setting up event pages, recruitment messaging, implement digital promotion, organizing phonebanks, etc.
- Activist Cultivation, Recruitment, Training and Planning: Building relationships with VPIRG’s top activists throughout the state and notifying them of opportunities for action.
- Volunteer/Intern coordination: Being a hub for VPIRG volunteer opportunities, helping staff recruit and manage interns and volunteers for campaigns or office work.
- Demonstrated persuasive writing ability. Please include three writing samples, including at least one snapshot of a social media post that could be personal or professional commentary on an issue important to you.
- Experience (volunteer or professional) in grassroots organizing tactics, such as tabling, canvassing, activist calling, recruiting and managing volunteers.
- Proven aptitude to learn and utilize digital tools and social media.
- Experience with photoshop, video editing, or other graphic design programs a plus.
VPIRG is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Candidates with significant professional experience in digital or grassroots organizing may be considered for a manager-level role.
Compensation and Benefits:
We offer an excellent benefits package, including fully employer-paid health insurance coverage, accrual of 4 weeks paid vacation and additional sick/personal paid time off annually, 11 holidays. After 3 months employment, staff qualify for a 3% match of contributions to an IRA or student loan repayment, as well as long-term disability insurance. Paid Family & Medical Leave benefits eligible to employees after 6 months. Salary commensurate upon experience. Minimum salary is $35,000.
How to Apply:
Apply online at www.vpirg.org/apply. Include a resume, cover letter that speaks to the qualifications required and your interest in VPIRG’s mission, and three writing samples, at least one of which is a sample social media post. Final application deadline is Friday, February 22, though applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.