Seeking Development Manager
VPIRG is seeking a Development Manager to steward and grow our network of over 40,000 supporters and lead multiple fundraising campaigns to annually raise over $2.5 million.
Now celebrating our 45th year, VPIRG is a strong and growing advocacy organization with 20 full-time, year-round staff and a team of over 60 summer canvassers. Because our power comes from our members, the Development Manager must ensure members feel heard and have a voice in the organization. It’s also why all VPIRG staff participate in activities to steward, retain and strengthen this membership. As such, a passion for training and empowering staff to succeed in fundraising is as important to this role as personal excellence in fundraising.
The ideal candidate brings both experience in fundraising program planning and analysis as well as a proven ability to run the day-to-day tasks required of individual donor management. The Development Manager will lead a dynamic team to conduct: major donor drives, donor prospecting and cultivation; direct mail, phone and online giving campaigns; grant-writing and related member communications and cultivation activities. This is a full-time, exempt position based in Montpelier.
About VPIRG: VPIRG’s mission is to promote the health and well-being of Vermont’s environment, people and locally-based economy by informing and mobilizing citizens across the state. From fighting climate change to protecting public health, air and water to reining in the influence of big money in politics—VPIRG has a track record of advancing solutions to pressing problems facing society. You can find more information about VPIRG and our campaigns on our web site at: www.vpirg.org.
About the position: The Development Manager will contribute to VPIRG’s work by coordinating and implementing various components of VPIRG’s fundraising and development activities.
- Development planning and analysis: Craft annual fundraising plan to raise over $1.5 million annually from individual giving campaigns including: major donor, monthly giving, direct mail, phone campaigns, door canvassing, events, online fundraising and planned giving. Develop a multi-year fundraising strategy to grow revenue.
- Grants management: Coordinate the full range of activities required to renew existing and seek new grants totaling over $1 million annually, including collaborating with program leaders to craft proposals and reports, stewarding relationships with foundation contacts and identifying new potential funders.
- Donor solicitation: Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of major donors.
- Writing and communications: Draft/edit direct mail, phone and online appeals and contribute to developing other member communications and informational materials including newsletter, campaign updates, grant reports, website and brochures.
- Research: Conduct donor prospecting and foundation research; follow best practices and trends in fundraising and development and help apply these strategies to our work.
- Cultivation and engagement: Develop and implement innovative ways to engage, educate and excite our base of supporters and groom lifelong members through events, recognition and other methods.
- Strategic analysis: Analyze metrics of fundraising efforts; assess, project and track membership rates of renewal and giving trends; assist with budget projections and monitoring of multi-stream fundraising efforts and membership growth strategies.
- Staff management and training: Supervise Development & Administrative Assistant and support all staff in meeting fundraising goals through effective training, motivation and oversite.
- At least three years fundraising experience required, including a successful track record of managing multi-channel campaigns and in-person solicitation of gifts.
- Must understand the metrics of fundraising as well as the art of building strong personal relationships to build our organization’s member base and financial strength.
- Must be extremely personable, have a persuasive way with words (both verbal and written), and have the ability to tell an inspiring, donor-centered story.
- Detail-oriented and thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Advanced level Microsoft Excel skills preferred.
- Familiarity with the Raisers Edge is a plus.
- Experience with grassroots organizing and issue-oriented campaigns or groups desired.
- Commitment to the issues on which VPIRG works and a mission-driven approach are essential.
Compensation: Competitive salary depending on experience. VPIRG offers an excellent benefits package including employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance, long-term disability insurance, employer-matching IRA contributions of up to 3% of salary, and six weeks of annual leave.
Application Process: Apply online by Monday, April 10th. Seeking start in May. VPIRG is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages women, minorities and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.