Seeking Accounting & Human Resources Administrator
About VPIRG: States are the “laboratories of democracy.” When solutions to our nation’s most pressing issues are stymied by special interest influence at the federal level, states must step up. Indeed, Vermonters have a track record of being willing to tackle the toughest problems without waiting for others to act. That was true for abolition of slavery, marriage equality, and labeling genetically-engineered foods.
For over 40 years, VPIRG has been a leader in Vermont’s laboratory of democracy by combining well-researched, effective advocacy with broad-based citizen engagement to promote and protect the health of our people, environment, and locally based economy. Our growing network of over 40,000 members and supporters makes VPIRG the state’s largest environmental and consumer protection advocacy group in the state.
About the position: The Accounting & Human Resources Administrator is a values-driven individual that wants to put their accounting and finance skills to work for the betterment of Vermont’s people, environment, and locally based economy. The Administrator will do this by achieving the Finance team’s mission of getting accurate and useful information to senior leadership so they can make informed decisions, while also helping to ensure organizational compliance with applicable laws, standards, and best practices.
This is a full-time and exempt position reporting to the Director of Finance & Administration. It is based in Montpelier from September to April, and in Burlington from May to August during VPIRG’s annual summer door canvass.
- Accounting system maintenance, including processing $2.5 million in financial transactions in an accounting database, processing gifts in a donor database, maintaining all print and digital financial records, paying bills, processing payroll for dozens of employees, making bank deposits, managing day-to-day cash flow, and helping to implement and enforce accounting policies and procedures.
- Human resources administration, including new employee orientation, maintaining all print and digital personnel records, enrolling staff in benefit plans, serving as an expert resource for employee benefit and payroll questions, and creating and maintaining employee profiles in accounting, payroll, and timekeeping software.
- General business administration, including assisting the Director in reviewing insurance policies, filing claims, and corresponding with insurance brokers and carriers; facilities management, including liaising with landlords and helping to negotiate leases and improvements; maintaining leases and service provider agreements, and requesting and analyzing estimates for new products and services.
- Audit support and financial analysis, including completing work papers to prove general ledger account balances and reviewing transactions for proper coding; assisting Director in preparing and reviewing grant financial proposals and reports, as well as internal financial reports and budgets.
- Dedication to the mission and work of VPIRG.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work evening/weekend hours as necessary.
- Enthusiasm for being VPIRG’s administrative backbone. Success in this position is dependent on understanding the critical importance this role has in the organization, exercising self-motivation, and being organized, attentive to detail, prudent, and tactful on a daily basis. This position also works with confidential financial and personnel data; following internal control procedures for protecting data and confidentiality is a requirement.
- A strong interest in nonprofit accounting, finance, and administration, and a desire to progress in this field specifically.
- Excellent customer service skills. This position interacts and works with VPIRG’s members, the public, vendors, and dozens of personnel. The ability and desire to work with others congenially and collaboratively every day is a necessity.
- An A.A.S. or B.S. degree in accounting or business administration preferred.
Compensation: Competitive salary. VPIRG offers an excellent benefits package including employer-paid health insurance including vision and a Health Reimbursement Account, long-term disability insurance, employer-matching IRA contributions and generous leave time.
Application Process: Apply online only at www.vpirg.org/apply. VPIRG is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. This position will remain open until filled. Start date ASAP.